Yangsum Farm, Rinchenpong, West Sikkim
This Farm is tucked away far from crowds, in idyllic countryside with a backdrop of the Khangchendzonga group of peaks and the sky- line of the Singelila Range. It is located in West Sikkim, two kms from the small bazaar village of Rinchenpong at an altitude of 2000 meters.
At Yangsum you will stay at the heritage Farm House, build in 1833 and remodeled in 1966. Thendup Tashi, Dorji Chaden, and Pema chuki, of the Tsechu Tharpa family will be your hosts.
You will get a spacious bedroom with a semi-attached modern toilet. The furnishings and get up of the room is in sikkimese style. The house has electricity, and running water.
About the Farm
The Farm is located 153 Kms ( 05 hrs) from Bagdogra airport, 92 kms ( 3.30 hrs) from Kalimpong, 66 kms from Darjeeling ( 3 hrs), and 36 Kms (1.30 hrs) from Pamayangtse.
The host family manage a 44 Acre mountain farm, consisting of open mixed forest of Pine, Himalayan Alder, Schima, Chestnut, Magnolia, Rhododendrons, cherry, and others. It grows cardamom, avacados, oranges, banana, pears, apricots, and mangoes. Cultivated agriculture yields maize, paddy, millet, potatoes, ginger, tumeric, and sweet potatoes. In addition to these, seasonal vegetables such as cauliflower, cabbage, tomatoes and peas are also grown.
What you can do during your home-stay?
- You can spend from 02 nights to a week here. Some things to do are:-
Relax in tranquil and pollution free atmosphere
- Explore the farm and surroundings and participate in farm activity
- Learn to cook local dishes and make the local millet beer
- Take Nature & culture treks through forests and farm land to Rinchingpong Monastery, Reshung Gompa, a Lepcha village, and more.
- Spend time bird watching
- The more energetic can take the 02 days Nature trek through bio-diverse forests to Vershay, at an altitude of 3218 meters. Rhododendrons bloom here in March-April.
- Take a day trip to Pamayangtse Monastery by jeep.